Photo

CCM/Reebok "braided" carbon weave?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Data

Mr Data
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

I've seen this type of carbon weave on several old CCM or Reebok pro stock sticks, including Perron's sticks. Anyone know what this is? It doesn't seem tied to a specific type of construction (FC, FV, SC, RI, etc.) because I've seen it with different profiles.

IMG-20130907-00376_zpsdvdgwp79.jpg

IMG_20170428_131447105_zpswb9cddi0.jpg

IMG_20170428_131731206_zpsru2zedui.jpg

#2 Cao

Cao
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

I'd like to know as well, I like the puck feel with this weave

#3 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

Ive always noticed that that weave is the same pattern that easton uses on their ST blades.  The sticks ive had with it have felt a bit more dense/heavier.  Maybe a more durable option?

IG: Fooj Media

#4 Mr Data

Mr Data

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Ive always noticed that that weave is the same pattern that easton uses on their ST blades.  The sticks ive had with it have felt a bit more dense/heavier.  Maybe a more durable option?

I remember that Reebok used to provide three different weight/durability options for their pro sticks: Ultra Lite (420-430g), Lite (460-475g) and HD (480-500g). Maybe this is the Lite construction? The Perron sticks didn't feel like 500g.

#5 Cao

Cao
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

I had this on my "stock" ribcor and I didn't notice it was any heavier, but it was definitely a tank - I can still use it after 4 years 

#6 JC116_MTL

JC116_MTL
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Should be noted too that the stick pictured is MIC.
In my opinion, overall there's quite a difference in feel between the regular China made and Canadian made CCM/Reebok pro sticks.

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you absolutely have been found wanting. Welcome to the new world. God save you, if it is right that he should do so."

#7 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

That blade is made via resin transfer process (RTM).

The graphite sock is pulled over the internal foams of the blade, then placed into an aluminum mold, where, resin is pumped into one side of the mold to flood the piece and then "cooked" so that the blade will set. The mold itself is tightened so that the blade curve can be accurately created inside the mold.

In the meantime, excess resin is pushed out the other end of the mold.

After being "cooked", the blade is removed from the mold and wet sanded to remove any excess resin from the edges.

Very few blades are still made using this process as pre preg is much more cost effective.

#threadcloser

#8 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Ok Bill Nye but what is it

#9 Cao

Cao
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

Ok Bill Nye but what is it

:rofl:

#10 Mr Data

Mr Data

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

That blade is made via resin transfer process (RTM).

The graphite sock is pulled over the internal foams of the blade, then placed into an aluminum mold, where, resin is pumped into one side of the mold to flood the piece and then "cooked" so that the blade will set. The mold itself is tightened so that the blade curve can be accurately created inside the mold.

In the meantime, excess resin is pushed out the other end of the mold.

After being "cooked", the blade is removed from the mold and wet sanded to remove any excess resin from the edges.

Very few blades are still made using this process as pre preg is much more cost effective.

Thanks for the very thorough and detailed answer! So I'm guessing CCM isn't using this process at all anymore?

#11 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the very thorough and detailed answer! So I'm guessing CCM isn't using this process at all anymore?

Or very little...

#threadcloser

#12 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

I know I've seen Tavares, Duchene, Mackinnon, and Phaneuf sticks with this weave too, and I agree with JC116 about the feel.

Relevant from almost a decade ago?

#13 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I have seen the same. Duchene, Tavares, Crosby. My Duchene stick was not a heavy stick, puck feel was great as was the pop.